Focus on Health:
The Right Detox for You
By Joseph Steyr, Naturopathic Doctor
The idea of detoxing for health has become a hot topic in media over the past few years. Yet, we have all heard about a detox system that went bad, leaving many people with a big question mark around whether a detox is a good idea or not.
The sad truth is that our world now is over-burdened with environmental toxins. These toxins are so common that we now even find them in the blood collected from umbilical cords in newborn babies. An article in the Globe and Mail recently reported on a study finding a total of 137 chemicals in the blood collected from umbilical cords. These toxins included flame retardants, PCBs, PFCs found in non-stick coatings and organochlorine pesticides. Of the 137 chemicals 132 are linked to cancer, 110 are linked to toxicity of the brain and nervous system, and 133 are linked to developmental and reproductive problems1. So if newborn babies are exposed to such levels of toxins, there is no doubt that removing these toxins from our bodies would be beneficial to our health.
So if there is so much toxicity out there, how come we’re not all sick? Well, our bodies are quite good at removing some of these toxins, or hiding away the ones the body can’t handle well. Yet, we see statistics that auto-immune, developmental and many other illnesses are in fact are on the rise. For example the CDC reported a 30% increase in autism over the past estimates2.
By now it’s clear that I believe doing a detox in important for good health. However there are detox methods that can absolutely do more harm than help. Often people doing a detox say they break out in rashes, feel ill, or have lack of energy for a few days. This is a sign that the body is not effectively clearing the toxins out of the body and this can actually damage our livers and kidneys. When it comes to detox, there is no shortcut and any method that is less than 14 days is not a good choice. If you have negative side effects your body is not handling the detox. A good detox prepares the body before actually doing the detox and should be personalized to the person’s needs. Ultimately, any detox should have you feeling energized and feeling healthy.
 Toxic chemicals found in newborns: report. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/toxic-chemicals-found-in-newborns-report/article12833927/
2 The Reasons Behind the Rise in Autism. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824418
Monday 11 am – 7 pm
Thursday 11 am – 7 pm
Alt. Saturday 9 am – 1 pm
Staying Healthy Naturally While Camping
By Joseph Steyr, Naturopathic doctor
Here are some good and quick tips to stay healthy and toxin-free while camping:
- Keep it natural while in nature: To avoid unnecessary toxins, buy natural sunscreens and after sun products, like pure aloe gel.
- Sit back from the smoke: The classic campfire is an essential part of summer, but campfire smoke is a powerful toxin. Try using extra dry wood to limit the smoke and sit back far enough to make sure you are not breathing in lung-fulls of smoke!
- Keep eating the green: the BBQ is another summer must have, but just as the campfire, the smoke and charring of the food exposes us to a toxin that can lead to cancer. The answer is to have antioxidants on the side, like dark leafy green vegetables and fresh berries.
- Keep the bugs off naturally: Bug spray uses some strong toxins such as Deet, and the bug sticks you burn are also not the best idea. However there are a few good alternatives, such as buying Deet-free bug sprays and using bug netting. Citronella candles are a good option but you can do even better: Buy some essential oils, like eucalyptus and citronella oil, and add a small amount to a spray bottle with water, now just shake and spray you homemade bug spray!
- Stop that itch: Bug bites happen even with the strongest of bug sprays, but you don’t need to grab the after bite. Most after bite products use ammonia as the active ingredient, which has a not-so-pleasant odour. Thankfully lemon juice or any vinegar works great too. So don’t go camping without your lemons!
Product of the Month
Proper functioning of the body can be hindered by toxins which originate from a variety of sources:
- Physical: weather, irradiation/light, noise, electro-magnetic fields, etc.
- Chemical: pollution, compounds in our everyday life such as cleaning and body care products, insecticides, medical drugs, etc.
- Biological: bacteria, fungi, viruses, food, allergens, molecules produced by our own body, etc.
- Psychological: stress overload, psychosomatic diseases, etc.
The body’s excretion pathways may be able to counteract these negative influences for a time, but can become overwhelmed by long-term exposure. When not properly eliminated, toxins build-up and negatively affect the body in a variety of ways such as weakening the immune system, nervous system, hormonal system, vital organs, cellular respiration, antioxidant system and mucosal surfaces.
For the month of August – Receive 20% OFF the Heel Detox Kits
Heel Detox-Kit ® combines three specific homeopathic formulas for a complete and natural cleansing of the body, thus targeting the major drainage and detoxification organs.
- Lyphosot ® activates the lymphatic system in order to drain the connective tissues;
- Nux vomica-Homaccord® stimulates the gastrointestinal excretion pathway as well as liver detoxification;
- Berberis-Homaccord® supports the kidneys and the gallbladder’s detoxification and excretion processes
Recipe of the Month: Pico de Gallo
Have with a bag of corn chips for a perfect refreshing summer snack. Also use it as a sauce for broiled fish or chicken; spoon it over thinly sliced skirt steak, scrambled eggs, or roasted
vegetables; or toss it into a bowl of beans. And of course, use
it with tacos and burritos or any other dish that needs a dose of freshness and zing.
- ¼ of an onion, finely chopped (red or white to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about ½ lime)
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- Optional: garlic clove and sprinkle of lemon pepper
Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Detox can help to reduce chronic inflammation. Inflammation is a major cause of chronic illness and disease and it begins in your gut. “Whether you’re trying to switch off pain from migraines and headaches, clear bad skin, or reduce high cholesterol or blood pressure, start with repairing your gut and detoxing your liver.